Sunday 23 July 2006

London to Prague in protest against George W. Bush & Tony Blair's 'WAR ON TERROR'.


On the 23rd of July 2006, US born peace activist Matthew Hahn will set out on a three week bicycle ride from London to Prague in protest against George W. Bush & Tony Blair's 'WAR ON TERROR'.
He will set off on the 23rd at 11.30am from Parliament Square in Central London and cycle through Belgium, Germany, and into Czech Republic meeting with other peace organisations along the way to invite them to “'Ping' for Peace” by handing out bicycle bells. He will end his journey in Wenceslas Square in Prague where he hopes to meet up with other peace organizations from the Czech Republic. He wants to raise awareness of the growing movement against further aggression by the US and UK and to promote peaceful rather than military options.
“I am cycling to Prague as a protest against this 'War on Terror' madness that is currently being propagated by our leaders. I have tried asking for peace. I have tried petitioning for peace. I have tried of demonstrating for peace,” Matthew says. ‘’I feel our leaders have driven me to this ludicrous position because the sane arguments for peace do not seem to be working.

“Wenceslas Square is my destination because it is the home of the Velvet Revolution. I believe that my country & the UK could use one of those now: a peaceful revolution from the people to end this madness. My “'Ping' for Peace” bicycle ride is ridiculous and I admit it, but what our leaders are doing is repulsive. I have run out of other options. I am matching our governments' lunacy with some lunacy of my own.”

Matthew, a theatre director and lecturer in performing arts in London, has been active in the antiwar movement in the UK since arriving in September 2001 at the start of the 'War on Terror.'
''What our two governments have done in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere around the world hasn't made us any safer -- and it killed too many people without reason. Two more nuclear powers in the world since their 'War on Terror' began? How is THAT making us safer? Our leaders now want to do more of the same by threatening and posturing towards North Korea and Iran. All of this appals me. ‘They need to LISTEN to the people's demand for careful diplomacy. Or they need to be ready for a Velvet Revolution.''

No comments:

Post a Comment